Major Benefits Of Cryotherapy
Does Cryotherapy Really Offer Relief?
Some of the common responses to injury include pain and muscle spasms. Injuries occur when tendons and ligaments- the tissues connecting muscles and bone together- are torn. They are torn when they are stretched too far and the collagen breaks down. In the process of tearing, blood vessels are also torn, which leads to fluid and blood vessels escaping into the spaces among muscle fibers. This is sometimes seen as a bruise and can be swollen.
However, when we apply cold to the affected area, the flow of blood vessels and fluid is decreased, which means that pain and inflammation are also decreased. Cold reduces the ability of the nerve endings to conduct impulses, which means that the “feeling” in the affected area is reduced. In addition, cold also serves to reduce cell activity, which means that internal bleeding and swelling is reduced at the site of an acute injury. When you cool down the deep tissue, you reduce muscle spasms because the muscles ability to stay contracted is reduced.
Since cryotherapy is used to reduced swelling/bleeding within an injury, it’s best when used the first 24 to 48 hours following an injury- and possibly a bit longer following surgery. However, you must keep in mind that cryotherapy is not a one size fits all treatment- not everyone can use it. You should not use cryotherapy on individuals who:
- Have problems with circulation
- Are unconscious
- Are unable to feel or respond to cold (that is, individuals who have had a stroke, individuals who have neuropathy, or a paralyzed limb)
- Individuals who are allergic to cold (yes, it does happen- some develop blisters and rashes when exposed to extreme cold)
So, instead of being stuck dealing with or trying to ignore the signs/symptoms of the health issues you’re facing on a daily basis, why would you not work with your body’s natural ability to heal itself? Believe it or not, the human body is quite amazing in its ability to naturally heal from a variety of medical conditions. However, you must make sure that you are properly supporting your body’s immune system- which is one of the many things that cryotherapy is used for.
Time and time again, researchers have proven the many benefits of cryotherapy. There are many patients out there who claim remarkable results following cryotherapy treatment.
Benefits of Cryotherapy
One of the most surprising facts about cryotherapy is the variety of medical conditions that it is used to treat. Cryotherapy can be used for almost anything from enhancing sports performance to treating debilitating conditions such as fibromyalgia or arthritis. This is because the body’s immune system is stimulated, which results in an increase:
- In circulation
- In metabolism
- In detoxification
- In tissue repair
- In immune function
Following, you will find a few more in-depth explanation for the various conditions that cryotherapy is used for.
Health & Wellness
Cryotherapy is 100 percent safe and natural. It is beneficial for promoting overall health through the reduction of pain, inflammation, and swelling and an increase in cellular survival.
During a cryotherapy treatment, your body will rush blood to your core in a survival mechanism. This causes your blood to become super oxygenated and dense in nutrients. Just moments following a treatment session, the blood will rush back through your body, helping to remove any toxins and inflammation, promoting natural healing.
Benefits are as follows:
- Relief from pain related to joint disorders such as fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis
- A decrease in inflammation, muscle soreness, and muscle spasms
- A decrease in migraines, insomnia, depression, fatigue, anxiety, and effects due to stress
- Decrease in occurrences of flu/cold
- Prevention of chronic conditions such as osteoporosis
While it’s true that proper, healthy eating habits and regular exercise are two of the primary factors that help you to maintain a healthy weight- when combined with cryotherapy, you can burn up to 800 calories following a three-minute session. Repeatedly using cryotherapy can help to reset your own metabolic rate, naturally increasing your metabolism for around 8 hours following a three-minute session.
How does cryotherapy do this?
- By increasing blood circulation
- By eliminating toxins from the blood/body
- Increasing metabolic rate following multiple treatments
- Resetting your body’s natural metabolic level to where you are burning up to 800 calories in the 8 hours after a 3-minute session.
Sports & Fitness
Competitors of all levels from weekend warriors to pro-athletes have seen the benefits of cryotherapy. It has been proven to be an effective method for relieving inflammation following strenuous training or workouts. Cryotherapy helps to decrease recovery time by using the natural anti-inflammatory effect of cold to alleviate your body’s ability to recover as well as decrease the fatigue associated with working out.
Sports and fitness gurus claim to experience the following after a cryotherapy session:
- Reduction in pain, inflammation, and swelling
- Increase in release of endorphins and energy
- Improvement in muscle/motor unit activation
- Increased levels of testosterone in men
Beauty & Anti-Aging
Cryotherapy is a natural, safe alternative to decrease the natural effects of aging without having to undergo expensive surgical procedures. The benefits of cryotherapy when used in this regard is an increase in the body’s natural production of collagen and tight skin. Cryotherapy works in this way by increasing the flow of blood to your skin, reducing toxins and rejuvenating your skin, such as reduction of cellulite.
Some of the benefits of using cryotherapy for anti-aging procedures over expensive surgeries are:
- Improvement in the production of collagen, reducing the visible signs of aging by evening skin tone and reducing wrinkles and cellulite
- Increasing blood flow to the skin, removing unwanted toxins, and reducing the damage caused by oxidative stress
- Reducing the signs/symptoms of conditions such as acne, psoriasis, and other blemishes resulting in an overall healthier complexion
Individuals who are recovering from surgery can benefit from cryotherapy. This is because the cold reduces inflammation and increases blood flow, which helps to decrease recovery times. However, it’s necessary that you speak with your physician before starting with cryotherapy treatment.
When used following surgery, cryotherapy is effective for:
- Reducing post-surgical recovery time by 40 percent
- Reduction in pain and inflammation
- Increasing the release of endorphins to naturally relieve pain
- Improvement of circulation to promote healing and remove toxins
As you can see, cryotherapy has many benefits, depending upon the reasons you are using it. However, you must keep in mind that it’s not to be used by everyone. You should speak with your physician before starting on cryotherapy treatments.